A Day in the Life...
Below are usual daily responsibilities that Bus Operators have. Each day is unique so flexibility is required for this job:
- Operate assigned buses in a safe manner in busy traffic and all weather conditions
- Communicate effectively with all passengers and respond to their needs, providing assistance while safely operating the bus and maintaining a schedule
- Collect/validate proper fares and resolve any passenger concerns in a professional manner
- Provide information and assisting passengers with courtesy when asked
- Maintaining order on the bus by dealing with individual riders as well as unruly groups according to Transit policy
- Communicate with and assist customers while safely following many different routes and time schedules
- Possessing knowledge of route system, schedules and city layout and adapt to unexpected route changes
- Reporting via 2-way radio to Supervisory personnel when vehicle maintenance or passenger emergencies arise according to Transit policy
- Completing accident/other reports when required as relating to any incidents that occur during a shift
As a Bus Operator, an individual must be able to multi-task to be successful in meeting the Mission Statement of Winnipeg Transit- To provide the Best Public Transportation possible.