How do I load my peggo card?
Fare loading options
Loading fares onto your peggo card is easy. You can load fares in three ways:
1 In person
Fares can be loaded in person at one of our retail sales agents. Unlike loading fares online or by phone, if you load fares on your peggo card in person you’ll have access to those fares right away. All fares loaded at a retail sales agent are put on a card reader, activating your fares on the spot.
For a complete list of locations where to load your card click on our Retail Sales Agents list
There is nothing easier than loading your peggo card from the comfort of your own home. With 24 hours a day, 7 days per week access buying a Transit pass has never been easier. Passengers can log in to their account at any time and see what their remaining balance is on their card as well as see what passes you may have pending and can even set up auto reloads.
Important Information about loading fares online.
Our buses are not in constant wireless contact with a central fare collection database. Rides taken throughout the day are stored on the bus and processed overnight when the bus returns to the garage for servicing. This means if you load your peggo card online or by phone that information is not loaded onto the bus until the end of service when the buses return to the garage. Fares loaded online or by phone will take up to 48 hours before they are active on your card.
3 By Phone
Important Information about loading fares by calling 311.
Our buses are not in constant wireless contact with a central fare collection database. Rides taken throughout the day are stored on the bus and processed overnight when the bus returns to the garage for servicing.
Things you need to know about loading your card
You have the ability to load several passes onto your peggo card at once. There are several things to know about choosing to load more than one pass on your card at a time.
Passes will be active on your card in the order you load them unless you have loaded a monthly pass. Monthly passes will become active on the first day of the month.
- So for example on May 1 you go to 7-Eleven or Shoppers Drug Mart and purchase a 5-day e-pass and a monthly pass for May. When you go tap your peggo card on a farebox the May pass will become active and the 5-day e-pass will stay on your card to be used after the monthly pass. If you go and load a June pass during May, however, the June pass will become active on June 1 and the 5-day pass will continue to stay on your card.
If you aren’t loading a monthly pass you will need to be a bit more careful when loading multiple passes. First off, unlike a monthly pass which becomes active on the first day of the month rolling passes will become active when they are loaded on your card and you tap your card on a farebox. If you have more than one rolling pass on your card they will be active in the order in which they were loaded.
- So if you load a 3-day, a 5-day, and a 7-day pass on your card the 3-day pass will be active first, followed by the 5-day, and finally the 7-day pass. That order cannot be adjusted.
How to load your card online
For a quick tutorial on how to load fares onto your peggo card watch the video below. We’ve also included a section on how to set up auto reloads.
For those who prefer text, a detailed “How to” description can be found below the video.
To load fares on your card you’ll need to log in to your account. You can do this by clicking on the peggo online link.
Once logged in you’ll be redirected to the Manage My Card page. On the right side of the page is the Load Card button.
This button will open a pop-up window where you can add an e-pass or e-cash to your card (see below).
Now that you’ve added your e-pass or e-cash choice you can head to the checkout to pay for your fare product. After you’ve paid for your purchase a confirmation email will be sent to the email account you used to create your user account. A follow-up email will be sent when your purchase has been loaded to your card.
Any fares loaded online or by phone will take 48 hours to process and add to your card.
Fares showing as not loaded in your account
When you log into your account and load an e-pass or e-cash it can take up to 48 hours for that pass to become active on your card. If you do not use your card after you have loaded a new e-pass or e-cash that fare will continue to show in your account as pending.
48 hours after your purchase, on your next use of your card, the e-cash or e-pass you loaded will be activated and added to your card. At the end of the day when the data from the bus you tapped is downloaded your online account will update to show this new fare on your account.
Setting an auto reload
For passengers who don’t want to have to worry about always reloading your peggo card you can set up an auto-reload. An auto reload allows you to set the fare option of your choice and not worry about running into an expired pass on your card. Until you turn it off, whatever fare option you choose will be reloaded to your card once you have hit a certain threshold.
What this means is if you have set up an auto-reload for an e-passes the reload will happen four days before your current e-pass is due to expire. For e-cash, once the stored value on your card drops below a predetermined amount (see below for each fare category reload value) the auto reload will occur.
To set an auto-reload you must first purchase the fare product you want online, using a credit card. Once you have purchased the product you want and it’s active on your card the auto reload tab will become active for you to set your reload.
Online debit cannot be used to activate an auto-reload.
Can you set an auto-reload for all fare options?
Not all fare products can be set to automatically reload. Below is a list of the products that can have an auto-reload added.
- 5-day e-pass
- 7-day e-pass
- 14-day e-pass
- 21-day e-pass
- 28-day e-pass
- Monthly e-pass
- e-cash values depend on fare category
- Full Fare and Post Secondary e-cash of $15 or more can be auto-reloaded
- Senior Fare and Youth Fare e-cash of $10 or more can be auto-reloaded
- e-cash auto reloads are set to approximate the value of 5 rides. So when your e-cash value drops to the level of 5 rides the auto reload will occur. Each fare class auto-reload threshold is listed below:
- $12 for Full Fare
- $12 for Post-Secondary
- $8.40 for Youth Fare
- $6 for Senior Fare
How to set an auto reload
Auto reloads can only be set on registered cards. After you have registered and used your peggo card, you’ll receive an email confirming that your registration is complete. Once you receive this email you can set up an auto-reload.
To set an auto-reload you must first purchase the fare product you want online, using a credit card. Once you have purchased the product you want and it’s active on your card the auto-reload tab will become active for you to set your reload.
Online debit cannot be used to activate an auto-reload.
To set your auto-reload log in to your peggo account and go to the Manage My Card page. Below your card information, you’ll see the View Products on Card drop down link. Click this link and you’ll see what fares you have on your card. To the right, you’ll see a button that indicates auto-reloads. When you click the button it will go from black to blue. When it is blue you have turned your auto reload on. Save your changes and it’s that simple.
How do I check my card balance
Not sure what the remaining balance is on your peggo card? You can check your account balance online, by calling 311, or when you tap your card against the smart card reader when riding the bus.
Things to know about checking your account balance:
- Fares purchased at a retail sales agent will appear in your account right away.
- Fares loaded online or by calling 311 can take up to 48 hours to appear in your account.
- Your account balance will be updated in real-time on the farebox as you travel throughout the day
Why is my account balance online not updated to include the trips I took today?
Our buses are not in constant wireless contact with our central fare collection database. Rides taken throughout the day are stored on the bus and processed overnight when the bus returns to the garage for servicing. This means any trips you took throughout the day are not unloaded from the bus until the end of service when the buses return to the garage. Trips taken today can take up to 48 hours to show up in your account balance shown online.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I use the fares I load online or by phone right away?
- When our buses leave the garage in the morning they are no longer in wireless contact with our servers. Fare transactions that take place on a bus throughout the day are stored and transferred to our central server at the end of the day when they come off the road. This means fares loaded online or by phone are not available for use right away. It can take up to 48 hours before these fares are active on your card.
- Important Note If you need to load fares and use your peggo card right away, visit one of our retail sales agents or customer service centres. Fares loaded in person at one of our retail sales agents or customer service centres are active on your card right away.
- Why are the Fares I loaded online still showing as “not loaded”?
- When you log into your account and load an e-pass or e-cash it can take up to 48 hours for that pass to become active on your card. If you do not use your card after you have loaded a new e-pass or e-cash that fare will continue to show in your account as pending.
- 48 hours after your purchase, on your next use of your card, the e-cash or e-pass you loaded will be activated and added to your card. At the end of the day when the data from the bus you tapped is downloaded your online account will update to show this new fare on your account.
- Can I load more than one rolling pass on my card and choose the order they are used in?
- Rolling passes loaded on your card are used in the order they are loaded. So, for example, if you load a 3-day e-pass, a 5-day e-pass, and then a 7-day e-pass the 3-day pass will be active first, followed by the 5-day and then the 7-day pass.
- If I load a rolling pass to my card but don’t want it to be active for a few days can I use the e-cash on my card?
- If you load a rolling pass on your card but don’t want to activate it right away you can use the e-cash on your card. You need to let the operator know that you want to use the e-cash on your card before you tap the farebox.
- Important Note – If you tap your card on the farebox before informing the operator you want to use your e-cash peggo will automatically activate the e-pass on your card.
- What is a pending pass?
- A pending pass is a pass that you have purchased to your peggo card that is identical to the one that you currently have active on your card. So if you have a monthly pass active on your card and you purchase next month’s monthly pass your account will show a pending monthly pass. This pass will become active once your current pass expires.