Become a Client
You must qualify under at least one of the following criteria:
- Requires the use of a wheelchair or scooter:
- On an ongoing basis – unlimited eligibility
- Until a specific date – eligibility only until the date specified
- as a result of dialysis treatment-eligibility only for trips to and from dialysis treatment.
- Unable to walk 175 metres (575 feet) outside:
- at all times – unlimited eligibility, or
- during winter months only – eligibility restricted to the period from October 15th to April 15, or
- as a result of dialysis treatment – eligibility only for trips to and from dialysis treatment.
- Has 20/200 vision or less, or a visual field of less than 20 degrees in both eyes (legally blind) not corrected by lenses – unlimited eligibility (i.e. even with glasses or contacts your vision, in both eyes, is still 20/200 or less) .
- Has Alzheimer’s Disease or Related Dementia (ADRD) which interferes with ability to use the regular fixed route transit system with an equivalent level of independence and safety.
- Send in your completed application form
- We will contact you by letter within 15 business days of receiving your application
- You will likely be required to attend our office for a functional assessment of your mobility and cognitive transit skills (if applicable) to:
- confirm your eligibility
- assess your ability to safely travel independently (if applicable)
- review how your mobility equipment will influence your access to Handi-Transit vehicles as we use a variety of vehicle types and sizes (car, wheelchair accessible van and minibus).
- We will notify you in writing of the approval or denial of your application.
If Your Application is Denied
Handi-Transit is a shared ride door-to door service for individuals who cannot use the regular transit service because they are unable to walk the distance to a bus stop, are legally blind in both eyes (not corrected by lenses), or have ADRD restricting their ability to use the regular fixed route service with the same level of safety and independence as other citizens. Applicants not meeting at least one of the eligibility criteria will have their application denied.
Applicants who are denied service are able to appeal the decision to the Appeal Hearing Body. The request to appeal must be made within 30 days of the date of the letter advising the application has been denied. Confirmation of the date and time of the appeal will be provided by letter.
Decisions of the Appeal Hearing Body are final.