Attendant and Companion Policy
Handi-Transit clients requiring the assistance of an attendant must arrange for their own attendant. When making a trip request, clients must inform the Handi-Transit Representative that an attendant will be travelling with them. Companion and attendants must pay the Handi-Transit fare.
- physically assist clients from the ground floor doorway of the pick-up location to the vehicle and then from the vehicle to the ground floor doorway at the destination
- NOTE: clients are left alone on-board vehicles when the driver is picking up other passengers.
Drivers will not:
- provide personal attendant service/supervision during a trip or place passengers into the hands of someone else at a destination point (i.e. wait for a caregiver to arrive).
- ring buzzers/doorbells or search for clients.
A friend or relative is welcome if there is room on the vehicle after the schedule is produced (fare required).
One attendant for assistance before, during or after a ride is accommodated at the time of booking (fare required). This is determined by the registrant and may be for all trips or some trips, depending on individual needs.
One attendant for assistance before, during or after a ride is accommodated at the time of booking. The registrant is not able to safely travel independently due to a cognitive impairment or is unable to manage independently beyond the drop off location, (i.e. propel their wheelchair on their own). The registrant will not be transported without an mandatory attendant present.
Children Under 12 years of Age:
- Children are welcome to travel with a Handi-Transit registrant.
- Children over six years of age must pay the Handi-Transit fare.
- An appropriate car seat/booster seat for small children must be provided by the registrant.