Book a Trip
Handi-Transit hours of operations for trips are:
Monday – Friday 6 am- 24:00
Saturday- 7 am- 24:00
Sunday- 8 am – 22:00
Trips may be requested up to one week in advance, and until 11 am the day before you wish to travel. Clients need to have the following information ready when calling to request a trip:
- Your name and Handi-Transit registration number
- The date you require to travel
- The exact street address (and building entrance) including the unit number of each location; pickup and drop off
- The time you want to arrive at your destination
- If there is a specific time you must be at your destination, the required arrival time
- The time you want to be picked up for your return trip
- If you will be travelling with an attendant
- What mobility equipment you will be using during transportation
- If you have changed your mobility aid for the trip
Calls are answered in the order they are received. Our Handi-Transit Representatives are instructed to be brief during busy hours so they can complete each call quickly and take other calls coming in to the Handi-Transit office.
As part of Handi-Transit’s quality control efforts, calls to schedule trips are recorded to help us ensure that all customer calls are handled promptly, courteously and accurately.
Regular Priority 1 trips (work, medical, post secondary education) which are required at the same time to the same destination for a minimum of three times per week can be pre-booked as a subscription service to avoid the need to call daily.
Tips for Requesting a Trip
- Try to limit travel around lunch hours Monday to Saturday as it is a high demand time.
- Call our Contact Centre in the evening to make your trip requests whenever you can. Our call volumes are lower at that time of the day (we will be able to serve you faster).
- Know your registration number. It is the quickest way for us to find your information.
- Tell us if you are moving or if you change your mobility equipment, phone number, or contact information.
- Let us know if you will be travelling with mobility equipment or an attendant. We need to know this before we schedule the trip to ensure we have enough room for you, your attendant, and your equipment.
- Provide the day, date and times (include a.m. or p.m.) you want to travel. Errors are less likely to occur if you specify, “Monday the 28th with a pick-up after 10:00 a.m.”
- Provide the address you are travelling to and include the unit number and landmark if applicable – we are unable to book to an intersection.
- You have two choices when making a trip request (not both):
- leave home after a specific time (when you will be ready to go) OR
- arrive at your destination no later than a specific time (scheduled appointment).
- Do not add a buffer time – our scheduling system will do that for you. Tell us the exact time of your appointment.
- Do add enough time when making a trip request to ensure you are ready to travel, i.e., returning home from a medical appointment – select a time to return that you know you will be ready to go.
- If you are attending a meeting that ends at 2:00 p.m., inform the service representative taking your trip request that you cannot return before 2:00 p.m.
- Always confirm your trip times by calling the automated service line anytime between 2:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.the day before you travel – it’s the only way you will know when to be ready!
- There will be some variation in pick-up times so we can maximize the rides we provide. Be at the ground floor level at the pick-up location five minutes before your scheduled pick-up time.
- Not confirming is not the same as cancelling – your ride will still be coming but you won’t know when. Confirming your trip also ensures you will know if there was a miscommunication between you and the service representative taking your trip request.
- Always call the automated service line if you have to cancel your trip (available 24/7). Give us as much time as possible so we have a better chance of providing rides to others with the time that was scheduled for you.