Bus Operator Career Overview
Winnipeg Transit is a leader in the public transportation business in Canada. Operating 7 days a week, 365 days a year, Winnipeg Transit provides a valuable service to over 46 million customers annually. Winnipeg Transit employs approximately 1,100 Bus Operators and maintains a fleet of over 570 buses.
2012 Operator of the Year
Working as a professional Bus Operator for Winnipeg Transit is a rewarding and challenging career. If you are seriously considering becoming a Bus Operator, take a moment to review the following information carefully to make sure you possess the necessary qualifications and that you understand and are agreeable to all of the working conditions prior to applying for this position.
- Bus Operators are skilled professionals who provide safe, courteous service to the citizens of Winnipeg
- If successful, it will be your responsibility to apply yourself in order to maintain or surpass the professional service currently being offered by the Winnipeg Transit Bus Operator workforce.
- As a Bus Operator you would operate a bus on established routes and time schedules with a varying number of stops
- You will be responsible for collecting fares, responding to customer inquiries concerning transit information, and ensuring the safety of all customers
- A career as a Bus Operator requires attentiveness, good judgment, safe driving habits, and an ability to deal with all kinds of people in varying circumstances
- Items such as weather conditions, construction, traffic, difficult passengers and following a set schedule are just some of the challenges that the operator will face on a daily basis
- Bus Operators must always be alert to prevent accidents, especially in heavy traffic or in bad weather, and to avoid sudden stops or swerves that may jolt passengers
Bus operators work in highly stressful environments. They must deal with a large number of passengers per day, with a diversity of cultures and personalities.
In addition, they constantly deal with traffic, weather conditions, and congested streets while maintaining schedule without compromising safety. Bus Operators are expected to maintain a professional image at all times.