Winnipeg Transit is a leader in the public transportation business in Canada. Operating 7 days a week, 365 days a year, Winnipeg Transit provides a valuable service to over 46 million customers annually. Winnipeg Transit employs approximately 1,100 Bus Operators and maintains a fleet of over 570 buses.
This is a temporary position working full time hours within the Plant and Equipment Division of Winnipeg Transit. It involves working a variety of shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Duties and Responsibilities
The maintenance worker works on a relief basis in any of the following different classifications: Bus Servicer/Revenue Servicer, General Helper and Labourer.
- Servicing Transit buses and other vehicles. This includes cleaning the vehicle, filling the fuel tank and checking and filling all other fluids
- Washing the interior of Transit vehicles
- Performing basic maintenance checks on Transit vehicles
- Performing custodial duties in the canteen, general office, shop and washroom areas
- Assisting in the maintenance and repair of Transit bus loops, roadways and buildings
- Performing a variety of grounds keeping duties including, cutting grass, weeding garden areas, snow removal and garbage removal
- Assisting in the maintenance and repair of bus stop platforms including, the removal of damaged platforms, the placement of new platforms and weed control
- Removing and replacing bus fareboxes
- A variety of other duties consistent with the classifications as required
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Minimum of one (1) year working experience in an industrial environment
- Must possess a current Class Five (5) Manitoba Driver’s licence in good standing, with the ability to obtain instructional air brake endorsement within three (3) weeks of employment
- The ability to carry out a variety of duties, within the different classifications including the freedom from any physical restrictions that would prevent performing the labouring aspects of these duties
- The willingness and ability to work a wide variety of shifts
- The ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- The ability to understand written and verbal instructions
- The ability to work in a shop environment and outdoors, including the exposure to extreme weather conditions