Truck and Transport Mechanic
Winnipeg Transit is a leader in the public transportation business in Canada. Operating 7 days a week, 365 days a year, Winnipeg Transit provides a valuable service to over 46 million customers annually. Winnipeg Transit employs approximately 1,100 Bus Operators and maintains a fleet of over 560 buses.
The Truck & Transport Mechanic is employed in the Plant and Equipment Division of Winnipeg Transit. This is a Journeyman Mechanic position which encompasses all phases of mechanical maintenance on Winnipeg Transit fleet vehicles, support vehicles and other equipment. It involves working a variety of shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnose, repair and overhaul of diesel and other internal combustion engines
- Diagnose, repair and overhaul of transmissions and hydraulic equipment
- Diagnose, repair and overhaul of all related electrical and auxiliary equipment
- Maintain a working knowledge of the technical and administrative procedures necessary to perform the duties of a Journeyman Mechanic
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have a Truck and Transport Journeyman Red Seal Certificate
- Must possess a current Class Five (5) Manitoba Driver’s licence in good standing, with the ability to obtain a Manitoba Class Two (2) Driver’s Licence with Air Brake Endorsement, within two (2) months of employment
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, as well as understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Must have a complete set of Mechanic’s hand tools
- Must be familiar with and adhere to safe workplace practices and requirements
- Must be free of any physical restrictions that would prevent performing the manual labour components of the position
- Must be able to work in an environment involving exposure to dust, noise, extreme temperature/weather conditions and diesel exhaust fumes